osiadhail
2011-04-20T19:53:00Z
GeniusConnect,

I am trying to simplify the deployment of updates to a project I developed which involves GeniusConnect. Essential parts of my project are custom folder views and custom forms. It is tedious to deploy updates to the custom forms, and impossible to transfer custom views without simply recreating them by hand, unless I transfer an entire .pst file with the views and custom forms in it. I can create a .pst file with all of the updated custom views and custom forms, and all of the data loaded from the db, and then copy this .pst file over the .pst files on the client machines which have the older views and forms. Since the .pst files on the client machines have basically the same data, all loaded from the db, my thought is that this should work just fine. (The .pst file in question on the client's machine is not their main .pst file that holds their e-mail.)

My question is this: If somebody already has a .pst file full of data linked to the db through geniusconnect, and I simply copy over that .pst file with a new one, will I disturb any of the links between the outlook items and the db and get any outlook items and database records criss-crossed? The data in the old client .pst files and the new .pst file should be almost the same. The differences would stem from the fact that the client .pst files and the new .pst file might not have been last synched at exactly the same time, and because items marked private are not synched. (I would copy all private items somewhere else before overwriting the .pst file, and then copy them back in.)

For updating the folder configuration in GeniusConnect I plan on exporting the relevant portion of the registry (HKCU\Software\Genius@Work) and then importing it on the client machines.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsor
GeniusConnect documentation search (User Manual Downloads...)
Administrator
2011-04-20T23:37:00Z
Hello,

every folder in a pst has a unique ID (EntryID), GeniusConnect uses these ID's to identify/find the folder and folder settings.
The EntryID will be different per pst, even if the folder name is the same. But you can tell GeniusConnect to remap to new EntryID's. Please see also topic:
http://support.geniusconnect.com/Posts/t140- 
osiadhail
2011-04-21T03:38:00Z
Thank you for the reply. I presume you mean the ReLinkFolders key in the registry? Does that just remap the registry keys, changing the folder id from the old folder id to the new one? Does it do anything else?

Also, will the .pst files have different folder id's if the client .pst files have all been derived from the same original .pst file? I originally created a .pst file with the folders in question, did an initial load from the db, and copied that .pst file and distributed it to the client computers. The updated .pst file that I want to copy over the client .pst files is an updated copy of the same original .pst file.
Administrator
2011-04-21T11:10:00Z
Yes ReLinkFolders. It will remap to new id (if folder path exists) or recreate the folder.

"Also, will the .pst files have different folder id's if the client .pst?"
No, the id's should be same, so you don't need the re-map

osiadhail
2011-04-23T14:13:00Z
Thanks! Would there be any issues with the items themselves in the folder? It sounds like no, but I just want to be sure.
Administrator
2011-04-23T15:09:00Z
No, they should be OK.