Windy City Girl
2006-05-19T17:12:00Z
First - I love this product, and have reccommended to one of my clients. However, I cant seem to get it to do a few things the way I want it to. I am sure it is a set up issue. So I will describe what I want.

This is being used in a small office, less than 20 people. The environment is Exchange 2003, Windows Server 2003, Office 2003 on Windows XP client machines. Everyone has the Genius software installed on their machine.

The Outlook Contacts are in a public folders which everyone has access to.

When people make chanegs in Outlook I want it to automatically save to the database - we seem to have that working by checking Auto Save on Outlook item change.

1) Since we are using the Auto Save on Outlook Item Change - is the sync direction load all or load all/store all?

2) It also seems to do a save everytime they open a contact - they haven't changed anything. They just opened the contact and closed it - why is it saving it?

3) I dont want everyone to be aware that the sync is taking place.

If there is an error during the sync process - everyone is getting an email message - the president got 147 error messages on our first try - this didn't make us look very good. How do I stop everyone from being notified? For now we have create a rule in outlook to permenatly delete the messages when they come in.

4) Since the contacts are in a public folder - does everyone need to have the software installed - can just the people who do the database sync have it?

5) They want all new contacts to be entered in the database - since this is a new client and needs other set-up. How can I stop new contacts from being added in Outlook?

Thanks in advance!

Windy City Girl
Sponsor
GeniusConnect documentation search (User Manual Downloads...)
Administrator
2006-05-20T13:33:00Z
Hello,

1) Since we are using the Auto Save on Outlook Item Change - is the sync direction load all or load all/store all?
load all/store all is most save (User can cancel the auto save action, so the store all will save it after all)

2) It also seems to do a save everytime they open a contact - they haven't changed anything. They just opened the contact and closed it - why is it saving it?
GeniusConnect is saving only if we get notification from Outlook, so something has changed according to Outlook

You can use the dedicated scenario, installing GeniusConnect only on on dedicated PC.
Please see examples:
http://www.geniusconnect...es/GeniusConnect/2/3/66/ 

If there is an error during the sync process - everyone is getting an email message - the president got 147 error messages on our first try - this didn't make us look very good. How do I stop everyone from being notified? For now we have create a rule in outlook to permenatly delete the messages when they come in.

GeniusConnect is not sending error emails!!! I assume this is an Exchange setting on the public folder.
GeniusConnect shows errors in:
-MessageBox (you can blockit)
-In progress window
-or in Log directory

4) Since the contacts are in a public folder - does everyone need to have the software installed - can just the people who do the database sync have it?
please see question/answer 3.

If you have multiple GeniusConnect installed against the same public folder, it is advisible to use dedicated install, instead of multiple installs on every user PC.

5) They want all new contacts to be entered in the database - since this is a new client and needs other set-up. How can I stop new contacts from being added in Outlook?
You can't, you can try to change the Public Folder permissions, but GeniusConnect needs also Insert permission to Add a new Outlook Contact based on Database record
Windy City Girl
2006-05-22T14:24:00Z
You can use the dedicated scenario, installing GeniusConnect only on on dedicated PC.
Please see examples:
http://www.geniusconnect...es/GeniusConnect/2/3/66/ 

++ I watched/looked at the example - I am still not sure what the answer is. I think what you are telling me is we need to only install the genius connect on 1 client desktop - since we are using a public folder. How then does the Auto Save on Outlook Item Change work - if someone changes a Contact who does not have Genius Connect installed?

Windy City Girl
Administrator
2006-05-22T14:33:00Z
Yes, the scenario is to install GeniusConnect on one dedicated PC.
Since you are using a public folder, GeniusConnect will detect user saves from other Outlook installations.

In some cases it is possible that GeniusConnect will miss an user save (connectivity problems etc..), but you can
set the scheduled sync. to Load All/Store All , so GeniusConnect will save the changes after all.
Windy City Girl
2006-05-22T14:37:00Z
Thank you so very much! I will be suggesting this product to some of my other clients. It has helped me to give them just the right implementation.

Kim

Windy City Girl
Administrator
2006-05-22T14:39:00Z